Fan Facts Bruno Mars
Origin of the Stage Name
- In an April 2013 cover interview with GQ, Mars revealed that his father nicknamed him after professional wrestler, Bruno Sammartino.
- He has also said that he bore a resemblance to the wrestler when he was chubby as a child.
- His older sister, Jamie, told Biography.com that his confidence, independence, and strong will also played a part in the name sticking.
- He has also gone on record as saying he added “Mars” to give some "pizzazz" to his persona, also saying that many girls told him he was "out of this world."
Bruno Mars: Elvis Impersonator
As one of the least demanding artists on the road, Mars reportedly told TMZ that he only asks for two main items backstage during his concerts:
- Wet Wipes
- Bottle of Wine
Sad Mouse on "SNL"
Although Mars has described writing a big song as one of the hardest things to do, he has proven himself one of the most successful and versatile songwriters today. He has cited the following artists as major influences:
- Amy Winehouse
- James Brown
- Elvis Presley
- R. Kelly
- Alicia Keys
As No. 4 on GQ’s list of the Most Stylish Men of 2012, Bruno Mars’ trademark style combines a laid-back, yet classically fashionable look.
- Typically wears a pair of slim jeans for both formal and casual wear
- Sometimes adds a leather jacket or a casual suit jacket paired with a plain t-shirt
- Rarely seen without a grey fedora
- Often sports Ray Ban sunglasses
- Also been known to sport vintage-inspired looks, like 60s suits, letterman jackets, and patterned button-up shirts
- His mother's name (Bernadette) over a heart
- The words "Pete's Boy" in homage to his father
- A ship's anchor on his right forearm
- Image of a gypsy on his left forearm for good luck
Father, Peter Hernandez, and mother, Bernadette San Pedro Bayot, met as performers on the entertainment circuit in Hawaii.
Bruno is one of six children, including a brother, Eric, and four sisters: Jamie, Presley, Tahiti, and Tiara.
His sisters have their own musical group, The Lylas, and will star in their own reality television show about the recording of their debut album.