Fan Facts Dave Matthews Band
Story of the Fire Dancer
The story goes that the logo was drawn by Dave Matthews while attempting to come up with band merchandizing logos.
- Someone suggested that Matthews try to depict what he saw when he gazed out at the crowd during live shows and the Fire Dancer was how he envisioned audience members letting loose and enjoying themselves.
- Appeared on the album cover for "Stand Up.
- It's also been said that the logo references the lyric, 'We all are sitting, legs crossed 'round the fire, my yellow flame she dances,' heard in 'Tripping Billies.'
"Dave Matthews Band Day"
When:Every Sept. 27 since 1994
Where:Originally held at McIntire Amphitheater in Charlottesville, Va
Why:To celebrate the release of the band's debut studio album, 'Under the Table and Dreaming'
DMB Tour Success
2000-09- DMB ranked No. 1 on the Pollstar.com list of highest-earning touring acts, collecting $529.1 million from ticket sales during that time frame.
2010-12- DMB earned approximately $114.3 million in ticket sales, despite taking a break from the extensive summer tour schedule in 2011.
Since 1994, Dave Matthews Band has released over 25 singles. The first, "What Would You Say," came from the band's debut studio album, "Under the Table and Dreaming," and peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart. To date, the group has had six Top 40 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, with the 2005 track "American Baby" reaching the highest spot at 16. "American Baby" is also Dave Matthews Band's only single to be certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America.
Dave Matthews: Artist
Though most popular for his music, Dave Matthews has also made quite a name for himself in the art world.
1999Matthews and friend, Beezy Bailey, a fellow South African, worked together on a series of paintings that were exhibited at the World of Music, Arts and Dance Festival in Johannesburg, South Africa.
2005Matthews drew the iconic Fire Dancer logo that appears on the cover of the band’s album “Stand Up.”
In 2013, Matthews and Bailey, held an exhibition called “Itica Pritica” at the Robert Miller Gallery in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York City. Held from March 5-April 13, the exhibition showcased 28 silk-screened works to pay homage to legendary artists Andy Warhol and Robert Rauschenberg.
Dave Matthews: Actor
Dave Matthews began acting at a local theater in Charlottesville in the 90s, and has since earned a number of film, stage, and television roles. Find an abridged list of appearances below:
2003Where the Red Fern Grows - Will Coleman
2005Because of Winn-Dixie - Otis
2007House M.D. - Patrick Obyedkov
2007I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry - Salesman
2008Lake City - Red
2008You Don't Mess with the Zohan - James
2011Just Go with It - Ian Maxtone Jones
DMB Charity Work
Devoted to the community, Dave Matthews Band created its own official charity, The Bama Works Fund. Initially founded to provide much-needed support in their native Charlottesville, Va., the charity has now donated over $15 million to local, national, and international organizations featured below. Individually, Dave Matthews participates on the Farm Aid Board of Directors, and Boyd Tinsley funded most of the University of Virginia's state-of-the-art indoor tennis facility.
- American Cancer Society
- American Red Cross
- Boys and Girls Club of America
- Defenders of Wildlife
- Habitat for Humanity
- Literacy Volunteers of America
- Meals on Wheels
- Special Olympics – Virginia
- Youth Orchestra of Charlottesville
DMB Etsy Collections
- Married his wife, Ashley, in 2000
- Has twin daughters, Stella and Grace, and a son, August
- Resides in Malibu, Seattle, and Charlottesville
- Married to his second wife, Karen
- Has two young daughters, and one from a previous marriage
- Resides in Virginia
- Married his second wife, Jaclyn Burton, in 2005
- Has two daughters, Hazel and Flora, and a son, Elijah, from a previous marriage
- Married to his wife, Emily
- Has one daughter, Abigail, and a son, Noah